Romance Book Review: Crush on You by Christie Ridgway

Book Review: Crush on You by Christie Ridgway
Berkley Sensation
June 2010 
5 Heart Review

The Baci sisters are on a mission to save Tanti Baci - the winery that's been in their family for generations - by transforming it into the perfect wedding destination. 

If only they didn't need the help of the Bennett brothers next door...

Alessandra Baci is determined to makes sure the winery's first wedding goes off without a hitch. Unfortunately, the "Nun of Napa," as she's affectionately known n, has had some bad luck when it comes to nuptials, starting with her own wedding day five years before when her fiance didn't arrive at the alter. Still, she'll do anything to keep her promise to her father - even if it means enlisting the help of the sexy Penn Bennett...

Straight out of Hollywood, where he's the handsome star of prime time's hottest home renovation show. Penn is Alessandra's only hope for restoring the crown jewel of the Baci estate. Too bad the Bennett men, who own the winery next door and are the sister's greatest rivals, are off-limits. Becuase Penn would like nothing more than to teach the sinless "Nun of Napa" an unholy, hands on lesson...

I adored the opening scenes of this book - filled with humor, sadness, insight and immediately making the reader want to know who Alessandra is and what happened to her - it kicks off a book I read through in a single sitting.

The inital meeting between Alessandra and Penn doesn't disappoint, and neither does their chemistry throughout the book or how Ridgway layers both backstories along the way.

In fact, she perfectly weaves Alessandra's story in a way that keeps you wondering and never ventures anywhere close to an info dump. What's even better is how you can really understand how Alessandra feels about the town's view of her as "The Nun of Napa." This alone is proof that Christie Ridgway is a kick-ass writer and expert storyteller.

Hero Penn will amuse and his quest to prove Alessandra is no Nun will have you smiling as you fly through the pages. The little added details about being a TV star were layered throughout the story and ring completely true. It's a fun, fictional look at that life.

On a side note, there is a secondary relationship in the book that rocked my world and I would have begged for it to have been it's own book. Seriously - Can we do a prequel that ends during the same time frame? Maybe I need to send that request straight to Christie and her publisher.

This book is the first in a new series by Ridgway and I am so looking forward to the next ones as it seems they will include Alessandra's sisters and more Bennett brothers.

I've been reading a ton of funny, sexy contemporary romances lately and there is a reason - a good one makes my day. These are the stories I love the most - I'm a blogger that will shout out my love of contemporaries to anyone who'll listen. Contemporary Romance isn't dead - it's thriving with authors like Christie Ridgway setting the bar.

As always, I want to know - Have you read a book by Christie Ridgway yet? If so, tell us what you thought. Have you ever dreamed of visiting Napa? I know I have!

2 comments:

  1. I am reading this book now and totally agree that Gil needs his own story. He absolutely stole the book for me from Penn and Alessandra. I loved Ridgeway`s Dirty Sexy Knitting books and look forward to the future Baci and Bennett sibling stories

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've convinced me to add this to my wish list. It makes my day when I read a great romance too, and it's been awhile since I've rad a contemporary one.

    ReplyDelete