When The Lights Go Dark...

This weekend I'm doing something completely insane in my mind. I'm having LASIK eye surgery after 20 years in glasses and contacts. It has taken me about 5 years of researching, visiting doctors, talking to friends, etc in order to come to this decision and I have to say that I'm extremely excited about it.

I'm also get REALLY nervous. Like watch crazy grahic videos of surgeries during my lunchbreak nervous. I 1000 times over do not recommend you do this if you are ever having a procedure done. Do NOT look it up on YouTube no matter how much you want to know. :)

But this post isn't about my being nervous of the surgery. It's really about being nervous about the What Ifs. Now, let me start by saying that I'm fully prepared and knowledgeable about what I'm going to do and am going to a great doctor.

BUT, there is always that chance that the worst could happen and I would lose my vision. As someone whose biggest pleasure in life is reading I'm nervous about how this decision might turn out.

What would I do if I could no longer read the words on the written page?
If you have read Cheeky Reads for some time, you might know that I'm a huge lover of AudioBooks. Like HUGE. (Insert Trump voice over here) But what if that was the only way I had to enjoy books? Would it be enough for me or would I curse my decision to have an elective eye procedure for the rest of my life? It's a daunting question for this book lover and once I can't get out of my mind.

One thing is certain. These thoughts have given me a brand new appreciation for those services available for visually imparied people and a desire to learn more about how books are being transformed into audio and other mediums for them.

If something happened to you tomorrow and you could no longer read your favorite books, would you try out audio books? Do you currently listen to audio books? Hell, have you had LASIK and everything turned out fine and you can tell me to quit being silly?!?

5 comments:

  1. I've only listened to a few audiobooks, but I'm sure I would learn to love them if I couldn't see. I'd LOVE to get Lasik also, BUT the idea freaks me out! I'm pretty sure that if I could afford it, I'd do it though. =) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're having both eyes done at the same time? I don't need reading glasses right now so I'm not going to be much help with that but I would do audio except I'm losing my hearing!

    waiting to hear how you do.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had Lasik about 13 years ago. I was totally dependent on corrective lens. I had worn glasses or contacts for 30+ years and at 43 had finally saved the money to have it done. As I had always worn the hard lens in my contacts, I was forced to wear glasses (pop bottle lens, yech!) for over a year before they would do the surgery. Finally the big day came. At that time they did one eye at a time. Coming home from the doctors office after having the second eye done and the first eye with the patch off, I looked at the window and could see. Not just a big green blob outside the window but leaves on the trees and blades of grass. It was so amazing. Yes, I worried what if it didn't work. I wouldn't be able to read or work as I did accounting work. Someone who hasn't worn corrective lens just can't understand the freedom. Now 13 years later, I'm having to wear glasses for reading as I can't hold the book far enough from my face but I can still drive and see far off without them. Believe me, those 13 years were unbelievable and despite the minor chance I wouldn't be able to see well enough to read, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

    (\___/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

    alterlisa AT yahoo DOT com
    http://lisaslovesbooksofcourse.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. oops, I do occasionally listen to audio books and if I couldn't see, I'd definitely use them to help satisfy the need.

    (\___/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

    alterlisa AT yahoo DOT com
    http://lisaslovesbooksofcourse.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone for helping me face my fear! I love hearing that so many of you have had LASIK with no issues!

    ReplyDelete