Book Review: Animal Magnetism by Jill Shalvis - 4 Heart Review


Book Review: Animal Magnetism
By Jill Shalvis 
4 Heart Review
Berkley Sensation - Contemporary Romance
Sunshine, Idaho, is a small and sunny town – the perfect home for man and beast. Well, maybe not for man, as pilot-for-hire Brady Miller discovers when his truck is rear-ended by what appears to be Noah's Ark.

As the co-owner of the town's only kennel, Lilah Young has good reason to be distracted behind the wheel – there are puppies, a piglet, and a duck in her Jeep. But she doesn't find it hard to focus on the sexy, gorgeous stranger she's collided with.

Lilah has lived in Sunshine all her life, and though Brady is just passing through, he has her abandoning her instincts and giving in to a primal desire. It's Brady's nature to resist being tied down, but there's something about Lilah and her menagerie – both animal and human – that keeps him coming back for more...

Cheeky Summary: Animal Magnetism by Jill Shalvis is exactly the type of contemporary romance I lust after and wish for more of! Lilah is a fresh heroine who I completely identified with and Brady is a complicated but lovable special forces hero that readers will eat up with a spoon. This book proves yet again that Jill Shalvis is one of our most exceptional contemporary romance authors and that we need more authors like her!

There was so much to love about this book that nothing I could write would be able to include all of the many things done right. The characters are wonderfully developed and I really enjoyed Brady's emotional journey. The townspeople and the vet clinic made for a delightful cast of supporting charactes and I'm so looking forward to Brady's “brothers” books.

There was only one thing about this book that slightly felt off to me and that's because it was built-up so much throughout the story that when it comes out in the story I felt cheated. From the start of the story everyone alludes to something in Lilah's past that made her give up her dreams and come back to her hometown. Eventually you will learn what happened and it is something bad, but there was almost too much build up for how Lilah calmly explains it to Brady. She almost shrugs it off and that bothered me for something that made such an impact on her life. Others might not feel as put out by this as I was, so I wouldn't overlook this book because of it. In fact, you might see her shrugging off her past as oart of her emotional development, but it just didn't strike it that way to me.

That one aspect to the story came very close to the end of the book so it didn't take away from how much I enjoyed reading it. It did leave me feeling the book was close to perfect, but just shy of getting a perfect rating for me. I mean this is a REALLY good book. :)

Even with the issue I had, I recommend romance readers give this one a try and if they haven't read Jill Shalvis before then please do. If you don't normally read contemporary romance then Jill Shalvis is a great place to start and Animal Magnetism is a great series to start with!

0 comments:

Post a Comment