Book Review: The Tudor Rose by Margaret Campbell Barnes

Book Review: The Tudor Rose - A Novel of Elizabeth of York
By: Margaret Campbell Barnes
Sourcebooks Landmark
4 Heart Review
Disclosure: Book provided by publisher

One woman holds the key to England's most glorious empire.

Elizabeth of York, the only living descendant of Edward IV, possesses the most precious thing in all of England – a legitimate claim to the crown. Two princes meet to determine a country's destiny: whoever wins will take Britain's most rightful heir as his bride and her kingdom for his own. On one side is her uncle Richard, the last Plantagenet King, whom she fears to be the murderer of her two brothers, the would-be kings. On the other is Henry Tudor, the exiled king. Can he save her from a horrifying marriage to a cutthroat solider?

Thrust into the intrigue and drama of the War of the Roses, Elizabeth has a dynasty within her grasp – if she can find the strength to unite a country torn apart by a thirst for power.


I love well-written historical fiction and am addicted to those that include part of King Henry VIII's story. That made The Tudor Rose an ideal book for me to read and see what I thought of author Margaret Campbell Barnes, whom I had not read before.

I was very pleased with her writing and with the story told in The Tudor Rose. Margaret's writing style is engaging and she perfectly handled the passing of time and historical moments without bogging the story down in them. You get just the right amount of background of historical events, but the focus is kept on Elizabeth - whose story this really is.

Although this is a work of fiction, it is so believable you might be tempted to regard it as pure historical fact. You will be absorbed in every twist and turn as you follow Elizabeth's constant quest for the truth about her brother's deaths, her husband's love and her place in ruling England.

I read this book from cover to cover in one night because I didn't want to leave Elizabeth alone. I felt like I was there with her for every step of her life and wishing for her to have more. Margaret paints Elizabeth as a not just a Queen, but as a woman who longs for love and family but upholds her duty to England above all.

If you are a fan of historical fiction, I can highly recommend The Tudor Rose and Margaret Campbell Barnes for your next read. Margaret is an expert storyteller and weaves an amazing tale of English history told through the incredible life of Elizabeth of York.

Happy Reading!

3 comments:

  1. Oooh, and one of my favorite periods of English history as well! The War of the Roses has so much good material in it. I need to add this to my TBR. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of this one but I really enjoy these kind of stories for a change of pace. Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm fascinated by anything having to do with the Tudors and Henry VIII -- and this one sounds right up my alley! :) I love when historical fiction is so awesome, it's almost impossible for me to acknowledge that the "facts" aren't true. I just hope that there's enough reality mixed in the story that I do get a real history lesson, too! :)

    ReplyDelete