AudioBook Week: What Do You Want In An AudioBook Review?

Today's AudioBook Week topic is how should bloggers go about writing an Audio review, and what do readers/listeners really want to see in those reviews.

My Audio Reviews have slightly evolved since I started them. My main change has been that lately I've been giving two ratings to my reviews - one for the story and a second one for the narrator. That's because sometimes even the best narrator can't save bad writing and a bad narrator can ruin a well-written book.

Another new addition is adding the running time of the CDs because I think sometimes people want to know how long it will take them to get through a particular book.

One think I really wish I could include in my reviews - an audio excerpt. Even if it was only 10-20 seconds I think just hearing the narrator would help both the review as well as get more readers to try out AudioBooks.

Do you like seeing two ratings for AudioBooks - 1 for the story and 1 for the narrator? What else do you wish was included in an Audio Review? Would you like to hear short excerpts to help you make up your mind?

8 comments:

  1. I *know*! I would love to include an audio excerpt. If some told me how to do it, I would!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your idea for reviewing audio I guess I always just review the book.
    Every once in awhile I will mention the narration either because it was really good or bad but thats about as far as it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Audio excerpts would be a GREAT addition to reviews! I think you're smart to do two separate ratings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this post! Interesting!

    Bill ;-)

    http://drbillsbookbazaar.blogspot.com/2010/06/help-settle-bet-ok.html
    Author of "Back to the Homeplace"
    and "13 Ways to Tell Your Ancestor Stories"

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a great idea to add the running time! I never thought of that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the 2 ratings. A bad narrator can kill a good story. I think an audio clip would be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never thought to do two different ratings. For me, it's hard to separate the two. Unless I've already read the book and am listening to the audio versions just for fun.

    I hadn't thought of listing the run time either. I rarely listen to abridged versions of books, but the rare times that I do, I always note that.

    Audible.com does offer a preview function for those of us who download books. Maybe a link to that?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with all the comments. Two ratings on a audiobook is most helpful, and a short audio excerpt if possible. Its true a bad narrator can really hurt a good book.

    ReplyDelete